Monday, 7 October 2013
Fresh start
So I was now in year 8 of secondary school with no friends and a ridiculous illness. After discussing with my parents that I was no longer happy at school and feeling alone because of it. So we decided to change secondary schools a fresh start well that's what I thought? I knew one person at my new school who I had been friends with since 5 we were both very excited to be going to school together we hadn't seen much of each other over the years because we decided on different schools but we hadn't changed one bit. However on my first day there she phoned to say she was ill and wouldn't be coming in today great! I can see a pattern forming oh well off I went. First lesson was fine the headmaster introduced me to my new form and my first class whilst talking loudly to the teacher that I was diabetic and needed to have a snack at 11am what?! Here's me thinking I could get away with not telling anyone. 11 o'clock came and I went to the nurses office to have my banana a lot of kids thought it was brilliant getting out of class to eat food but it wasn't there education that was suffering. Along came dinner time I was no longer on pack lunches I got to eat real meals great till I got to the end of the queue and all that was there were cans of full sugar pop great! I asked the dinner lady if there was anything else? Just water she said so that's what I had but I told her my predicament that I needed sugar free pop with me being diabetic and she said she would get some in for tomorrow thank you. Next day went down the dinner line to find a carton of pop just for me lime cordial! Is that the only flavour they could find I know those days there wasn't much choice of sugar free delights but I'm pretty sure orange or apple and black currant were available. Anyway my friend was back at school now so I no longer felt alone apart from the diabetes. Next lesson was P.E I like sports specially football and rounders but I was alway anxious about my blood sugars dropping at the time I had to eat a snack size chocolate bar half an hour before my lesson (which I always thought pointless if the whole point of exercise was to burn off sugar) I learned from my mistake at my old school to take my own lucozade to school with me I case of a hypo I didn't bother with my blood machine as my symptoms were very strong. I did have a few hypos at school but it never bothered me then I don't no why? my blood sugars were quite stable at school. I'm so glad I changed schools even with the little moments of awkwardness now all I had to deal with was boys, periods and what career I wanted normal teenager stuff.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment