Monday, 5 August 2013
Hospital protocol
It's been a while since I was an inpatient at the hospital (obviously doing something right) but a fellow diabetic mentioned her latest visit and found it quite shocking that things haven't changed. Baring in mind we don't live any where near each other and that the protocol at both hospitals are exactly the same bad! Most diabetic type 1s have at least suffered once with DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) it is a potentially life threatening complication in diabetic patience mainly type 1s. I have had this quite serious 3 times always ending in intensive care ( yes exactly) while I've been in ICU I was monitored really well going straight into a sliding scale (don't be lazy look it up) blood sugars taken every hour changing dosage ect the last 2 times I was admitted i was on the insulin pump and was always told to disconnect that was fine. However once I'm moved to a normal ward I become the rare breed diabetic (ooh you have an insulin pump how does that work) so I explain (I think they understood? wrong!) the nurse asks more than once how many units do you have per meal my reply it depends what I eat? She doesn't understand. It appears that no ward nurse has heard of Dafne (again look it up I had too) and they also don't understand how a pump works I don't blame the nurses times change and medical equipment and understanding changes but for saying how many diabetics there are theres still not enough support in hospitals or understanding of the methods used.
Labels:
#animas,
#diabetes,
#hospital,
#insulinpump,
#protocol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment